IRC Logs for #crux Tuesday, 2018-07-24

*** BitPuffin has quit IRC00:06
*** tilman_ has joined #crux00:18
*** nthwyatt has joined #crux01:25
*** nthwyatt has quit IRC01:26
*** darfo has quit IRC01:27
*** darfo has joined #crux01:45
*** SiFuh_ has quit IRC02:22
*** SiFuh has joined #crux02:22
*** _________mavric6 has quit IRC02:47
*** _________mavric6 has joined #crux02:48
*** SiFuh has quit IRC03:40
*** SiFuh has joined #crux03:41
*** Workster has quit IRC05:21
*** Workster has joined #crux05:22
*** SiFuh has quit IRC05:43
*** SiFuh has joined #crux05:44
*** smolboye has joined #crux06:37
*** john_cephalopoda has joined #crux07:41
*** smolboye has quit IRC08:55
*** smolboye has joined #crux08:58
*** slek has joined #crux09:03
*** smolboye has quit IRC09:08
*** smolboye has joined #crux09:09
*** slek has quit IRC09:37
*** Peco_ has joined #crux10:19
Peco_Anyone who has in-terminal image previews working with rxvt and ranger ?10:20
Peco_i can manage to do it with urxvt, but i prefer to do it with w3m10:21
*** BitPuffin has joined #crux10:30
*** Peco_ has quit IRC10:33
*** Peco_ has joined #crux10:38
*** Peco_ has quit IRC10:45
*** Peco_ has joined #crux11:00
*** SiFuh has quit IRC11:02
*** SiFuh has joined #crux11:08
*** parity11 has joined #crux11:27
*** pedja has joined #crux11:42
*** fun has quit IRC12:08
*** fun has joined #crux12:12
*** Peco_ has quit IRC12:12
*** SiFuh has quit IRC12:13
*** SiFuh has joined #crux12:13
pedja'Refuctoring' :)12:23
pedjasome cool jargon here https://blog.codinghorror.com/new-programming-jargon/12:23
frinnstshouldnt it be 'Refucktoring'?12:25
*** SiFuh has quit IRC12:25
frinnstanyways, thats how I roll with most things12:25
frinnst:>12:25
*** SiFuh has joined #crux12:25
john_cephalopodaI usually make crappy prototypes that improve and improve until they are ok, then I find a more interesting project and never release the thing I was working on.12:37
pedja90/10 rule12:41
*** Peco_ has joined #crux12:43
pedja'The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.'12:43
john_cephalopodaI am mainly doing computer game projects in my free time. I lack an artist (or I got one and they disappear).12:45
pedjais reusing assets from other game not possible?12:46
john_cephalopodaReusing art rarely works well.12:47
john_cephalopodaIf I am reusing art from an existing game to make a very similar game, it will work. But when I want to go into a completely different direction, I'll have to use assets from more than one game. That usually ends up looking crappy because the art style doesn't match up.12:49
pedjathat's a common issue for open source games. making artwork requires a specific skillset and it's a lot of work12:49
john_cephalopodahttps://thecutecuttlefish.org/tmp/cfn.png12:50
pedjathe amount of work people put in Kerbal Space Program addons, for instance, is impressive12:51
john_cephalopodahttps://thecutecuttlefish.org/tmp/cmgp.webm12:51
john_cephalopodaAnimating is quite some work but also quite some fun.12:53
john_cephalopodaI am relatively good at it now.12:53
frinnstholy fuck that is disturbing :D13:01
frinnstbut very coolk13:02
*** smolboye has quit IRC13:16
*** smolboye has joined #crux13:45
*** SiFuh has quit IRC14:17
*** SiFuh has joined #crux14:17
*** CruxDr01d has joined #crux14:34
CruxDr01dHello Crux'ers, I keep working on my new 3.4 version of crux and I'm having some problems.14:36
cruxbot[opt.git/3.4]: libpcap: update to 1.9.014:37
cruxbot[opt.git/3.4]: libgphoto2: update to 2.5.1914:37
cruxbot[opt.git/3.4]: fuse3: update to 3.2.514:37
cruxbot[opt.git/3.4]: fuse: update to 2.9.814:37
cruxbot[core.git/3.4]: dhcpcd: update to 7.0.714:37
CruxDr01dCompiling Gimp for example exausted all resources but when compiled with -j1 it worked perfectly14:37
Anselmodo you not have a lot of memory ?14:38
CruxDr01dI was able to build the biggest packages, when I got that problem with gimp I increased the ram and swap, but clearly was not the issue.14:39
CruxDr01dyesterday I got problems compiling other packages and got a error from gcc, I'm trying to get it and share here14:40
Anselmooooooh hrm14:40
CruxDr01dwas the same issue with gimp, exausted the system resources,14:40
CruxDr01dAnselmo: I'm thinking maybe is because I don't activate huge tlb or something on kernel ?14:41
CruxDr01dI saw that everyone enable that.14:41
Anselmouhm,14:45
AnselmoI mean its worth a try, I dont specifically enable an option like that on my kernels but it may be set by default14:46
CruxDr01dIf you don't have enabled and everything is fine for you  then I will try to avoid time in there.14:47
CruxDr01dAnselmo: I think I found the error, in pkgmk.conf I had MAKEFLAGS="-j${nproc}"14:50
CruxDr01dI change it to MAKEFLAGS="-j$(nproc)"14:51
CruxDr01dand yes it's working :D UHHUHUHU14:51
Anselmowait, whats the difference ?14:54
CruxDr01d${var_name} returns the value of var_name, $(command) returns the output of command.14:57
Anselmooh its just the {} vs ()14:58
Anselmomy font is apparently not the best for seeing some things c_c14:58
CruxDr01dHappy, I have my system packages :) later will update and then let it for a while so I can do other things.14:59
Anselmo:315:00
*** darfo has quit IRC15:39
jaeger-j${nproc} would be the same as -j if nproc didn't exist as an environment variable15:44
jaegerSo yeah, that could cause some failures, since if a number is not specified, -j will not limit the number of jobs15:44
*** CruxDr01d has quit IRC16:21
*** Kruppt has joined #crux17:11
*** JanC has quit IRC17:44
*** JanC has joined #crux17:44
*** Kruppt has quit IRC18:17
*** darfo has joined #crux19:14
*** BitPuffin has quit IRC21:54
*** smolboye has quit IRC22:07
*** ryuo has quit IRC22:40
*** SiFuh has quit IRC22:41
*** SiFuh has joined #crux22:42
*** ryuo has joined #crux22:44
*** john_cephalopoda has quit IRC23:05
pedjaholy shit https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/donating-to-slackware-4175634729/#post588275123:51
*** lennox has joined #crux23:59

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.14.0 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!